The Experiences of Infertility and Fertility Treatment online resource is based on qualitative research conducted by researchers based at RMIT University and the Monash Centre for Health Research and Implementation. Funding for the project was provided by the NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence for Women’s Health in Reproductive Life and RMIT University.
Associate Professor Jacqueline Boyle, Head of Health Systems and Equity, Eastern Health Clinical School , Monash University
Dr Kate Johnston-Ataata, Research Fellow, Social & Global Studies Centre, RMIT University
Professor Renata Kokanović, Vice-Chancellor’s Senior Research Fellow and Director, Social & Global Studies Centre, RMIT University
The project was overseen by Professor Renata Kokanović with Associate Professor Jacqueline Boyle providing clinical leadership. Dr Kate Johnston-Ataata was responsible for project management, conduct of the research, and development of the online resource content. Ms Susannah Ostojic provided invaluable research assistance during the online resource production stage of the project and Crosswalk Media produced the online resource and illustrated films.
A Reference Group comprising people with lived experience of infertility and/or fertility treatment, clinicians, social scientists, and representatives from advocacy organisations, professional societies and public health and health promotion organisations provided advice and guidance to the researchers throughout the project.
- Ms Gulnara Abbasova – Executive Officer, Migrant and Refugee Health Partnership
- Professor Katherine Boydell – Professor of Mental Health, Black Dog Institute, UNSW
- Associate Professor Jacqueline Boyle - Deputy Director, Monash Centre for Health Research and Implementation, Monash University
- Dr Michael Costello – Senior Lecturer in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, UNSW and Fertility Specialist, IVF Australia
- Associate Professor Deborah Dempsey – Adjunct Associate Professor of Sociology, Swinburne University of Technology
- Ms Katie Killian - Lived Experience representative
- Professor Renata Kokanović - Professor of Medical Sociology and Director, Social & Global Studies Centre, RMIT University
- Ms Melissa Lowe – Lived Experience representative
- Ms Anna MacLeod – CEO, Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority
- Ms Claire Momsen – Project Officer, Digital and Multilingual Programs, Migration Council Australia
- Professor Robert Norman – Professor of Reproductive and Periconceptual Medicine, Robinson Research Institute, University of Adelaide
- Ms Laura Riccardi – Health Promotion Officer (Sexual and Reproductive Health), Women’s Health in the South East (Victoria)
- Dr Beth Wilson – Project Manager, Assisted Reproductive Treatment, Victorian Department of Health and Human Services
- Ms Holly Zwalf - Coordinator, Rainbow Families Queensland
Above all, we thank the 25 people who so generously and openly shared their stories for this resource. Without their contributions, this project would not have been possible.
We are grateful to the Reference Group members for their assistance, guidance and insights in relation to recruitment as well as their active engagement in reviewing the Thematic Films and Individual Profiles for the online resource. Special thanks to Professor Rob Norman, Associate Professor Jacqueline Boyle, Melissa Lowe and Katie Killian for the additional support and advice provided, Dr Sarah Lensen (University of Melbourne) for assistance with recruitment and occasional advice, Professor Damien W. Riggs (Flinders University) and LGBTQI+ Health Australia for guidance regarding language around gender, and Josphin Johnson, Heather Pratt and Linda Downes for project administrative assistance.
Thanks also to Crosswalk Media for assisting with the conceptualisation and creative development of the online resource as well as its production.
Finally, we would like to acknowledge the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies and the Social & Global Studies Centre at RMIT University and the School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University for their support of the project.
- NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence in Women’s Health in Reproductive Life (APP1171912)
- RMIT University
To find out more about the Experiences of Infertility project, visit the project overview.